SIBA unveils BeerX speaker programme
TV chef Simon Rimmer in line up for ‘celebration of British beer’
A diverse line up of speakers including a TV chef, an American craft brewer and leading figures from the Government and Opposition will address BeerX, the celebration of British beer to be staged by the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) next month.
The speakers will all talk at BeerX, in Sheffield, on Friday, 15 March before an anticipated audience of 500 SIBA brewers, licensees, suppliers and others from the brewing industry, as well as interested members of the public.
The speakers are:
- SIBA chief executive Julian Grocock
- Garrett Oliver: brewer at Brooklyn Brewery and leading figure in the US craft brewing scene
- Toby Perkins: Shadow Minister for Small Business and MP for Chesterfield
- Simon Rimmer: chef, beer enthusiast and star of Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch
- Brandon Lewis: Community Pubs Minister and MP for Great Yarmouth
Julian Grocock said, “All of our speakers will be setting out their vision for British brewing. Given their very different backgrounds, we are expecting a diverse set of speeches, which will nonetheless share a passion for our national drink.
“By bringing together figures from politics, brewing and – through Simon Rimmer – the wider world of food and drink, we have created a speaker programme with wide appeal. Our ambition with BeerX has always been to celebrate British beer before a broad audience ranging from drink industry veterans to novice beer drinkers. “
Attendance at the speeches on the Friday – termed Industry Day – is free of charge, though guests must register at http://siba.co.uk/beerx/event-information/. The daytime events are followed by the BeerX Festival of Beer, to which admission is payable – advance tickets available on . www.beerx.org
SIBA BeerX runs from 13 – 16 March, at Ponds Forge in central Sheffield.
Wednesday 13 March: JUDGING DAY
- Supplier Associate forum
- Final judging of SIBA National Beer Competitions: Cask, Bottled and Craft Beer in Keg
- Supplier Associate reception, open to all SIBA members
Thursday 14 March: SIBA AGM AND MEMBERS’ DAY
- SIBA AGM and briefings from SIBA executive
- Seminar programme
- Chairman’s reception
- Opening of the Festival of Beer to public
- Announcement of SIBA’s National Beer Competition winners
Friday 15 March: INDUSTRY DAY
- Opening address by Lord Mayor of Sheffield
- Speaker programme
- Presentation of the SIBA Business Awards 2013 and SIBA Silver Tankard
- Festival of Beer open to public
Saturday 16 March: FESTIVAL OF BEER