Be Here For Independent Beer
Covid-19 has had a devastating impact on the brewing industry, with small independent brewers and their suppliers feeling the brunt of the impact. They lost 80% of their business overnight with the closure of pubs, bars and restaurants in March and have not received the same level of financial support from the Government as the hospitality sector.
We are calling on the Government to Be Here for Independent Beer. Our independent breweries need your support to survive so we can retain local independent beer and keep our communities together.
Support to survive
- To provide an urgent injection of support and allow them to brew again, the Government should halve beer duty bills for all British owned independent brewers based on the rate paid last year for the rest of this financial year.
- The direct support already provided to pubs and the hospitality sector should also be extended so small breweries receive business rate relief and grants. This direct injection of cashflow will protect and secure the thousands of jobs in brewing and the supply chain.
Retain local independent beer
- Beer production has been at a record low during this crisis so HMRC should take account of this in its duty calculations and give brewers extra time to pay (60 days rather than 30 days)
- To secure the sustainability of our small breweries the Government should introduce positive reform of Small Breweries’ Relief.
Keep our communities together
- So that independent brewers can bring staff back to work and support the thousands of local jobs in the sector, the Government should provide fully flexible furlough, and we await the detail further to the Government’s announcement on 29th May.
- Breweries also need prompt payments to keep them afloat with a secured 30-day payment term from customers.
You can show you’re Here For Independent Beer by:
Getting in touch with your MP and ask them and the Government to Be Here for Independent Beer. Template letters can be accessed here.
Tweet your support using #Here4IndieBeer